Veikkaus’ slot machines to undergo a historical reform – authentication helps to prevent gambling problems and underage gambling
HELSINKI, January 11, 2021 – Next Tuesday, 12 January, Veikkaus’ slot machines will undergo a reform, the impacts of which will be among the most profound in the recent history of Finnish gambling. The slot machines in stores, restaurants, kiosks, and service stations will be subject to compulsory authentication. Without authentication, you will not be able to play slots.
The reform is part of Veikkaus’ comprehensive CSR Programme, which aims to prevent gambling-related harm. Customers can authenticate themselves on slot machines from now on by using their Veikkaus Card, by phone, or by using a payment card linked to their Loyal Customer status.
At present, Veikkaus has ca. 10,000 slot machines in its retail partner network all over Finland. Their number has been reduced by more than 40 percent within the past year.
– We have actively brought forward the transition to authentication through our own actions and reduced the number of the slot machines. If a customer experiences gambling as a problem, this reform enables them to, for example, set a complete self-ban on their gambling. It will also be easier for the customers to follow their gambling activity, says Jari Heino, SVP, Channels and Sales.
– The majority of Finns do not have problems with gambling, but through this measure, we want to offer preventive tools for those who are at risk of getting into trouble.
Easier age limit controls
The reform will also facilitate age limit controls significantly.
– Our games are for adults only. For the prevention of underage gambling, the reform is remarkable. We have received great feedback, both from our partners and our customers, on the fact that it will now be easier to control the age limit.
– You can only play slots if you have a personal account, and you cannot open one if you are under 18.
Authentication will also have significant economic impacts. Together with the other gambling control tools, it will cut the players’ losses by ca. 300 million euros a year.
– By these measures, we aim to curb mostly the gambling that causes the most problems. Preventing problems and harm is our primary target. We are working for that objective every day, developing different tools to enable safer gambling.
Loss limits of fast-paced online games to be extended in the summer
Starting from July 2021, authentication will also be required at Veikkaus’ gambling arcades – the Feel Vegas and Pelaamo arcades. At the same time, gambling on physical slot machines will be made subject to loss limits. This means that they will be subject to the same practice that has already been applied to the fast-paced online games, such as online scratchcards, eBingo, and the digital slots.
Veikkaus’ objective is to make all gambling subject to authentication by the year 2023.
Veikkaus is closely following the development of the coronavirus pandemic in the different health care districts. At the moment, all the slot machines and arcades are closed in regions where the epidemic is in the acceleration or spreading stage.
– It may well be that the slot machines and arcades are closed on 12 January in certain areas. When they are reopened as the situation with the epidemic improves, gambling will be instantly subject to authentication. At the same time, the restrictions on the opening hours will be removed, and the slot machines can be open according to the opening hours of our retail partners, says Mr Heino.
About Veikkaus (www.veikkaus.fi)
We are a Finnish gaming company and an international leader in the gaming industry. We want to provide the world's best gaming experience with reliability and security. Our gaming and digital professionals are constantly developing something new and exciting for our customers. Thanks to our players, we collect nearly a billion euros a year in common good.
Aku Korhosen tie 2
Veikkaus’ media service:
Phone 09 4370 7000 (8 am to 10 pm)