In my first blog post, Establishing trust, I spoke about personnel security and the importance of establishing trust in individuals that could impact the integrity of an operations games (WLA-SCS:2020, G.2.1.6 Personnel security). In this second blog post, we will look at another new control concerning responsible disclosure.
- COVID-19 cases top 14 million worldwide with a confirmed case fatality rate of ≈4.3% and an estimated infection fatality rate of ≈0.65%.
- Asia and Europe ‘flatten the curve’ as hotspots ignite in the US, Brazil, and India.
- EU reopens its borders to travelers from 14 nations but not to US tourists.
- Economies restart as parts of Europe and the US cautiously emerge from lockdown.
- Global output in 2020 projected to decline 4.9% globally and 8% in advanced economies as world enters worst recession since Great Depression.
- Cumulative loss to global economic output across 2020–2021 now put at USD 12 trillion.
- More than 50 million Americans file initial unemployment claims in 17 weeks as extended unemployment insurance is set to expire.
- Lotteries in China, Europe, and the US start the shift in earnest from retail to online.
- Sportsbooks begin to recoup as German Bundesliga, English Premier League, and Italian Serie A return.
- Las Vegas strip reopens with 21 of 35 resorts having returned by the 4th of July weekend.
- H2 Global Gaming's 2020 total gambling forecast now downgraded 24.0% on pre-outbreak estimates with lottery products' global gross win downgraded 14.4%.
This week the WLA Security and Risk Management Committee (SRMC) has been working to finalize the 2020 version of the WLA Security Control Standard (WLA-SCS:2020), which is soon to be launched, pending approval by the delegates of the WLA General Meeting in October. The new standard will help WLA members give assurance to all their stakeholders that security is, and remains, one of their highest priorities. Alongside the work we have done on the standard, I thought it would be useful to write a series of blog posts explaining some of the new controls and their significance, and offer some considerations in their implementation. The blog posts will appear in the coming days under the subheading, “Introducing the WLA Security Control Standard 2020”.
Like the global financial crisis of 2008, or the 9/11 terror attacks, the coronavirus pandemic has proved to be an earth-shaking event. The full magnitude of its consequences will likely be felt for years to come. Now, emerging from the pandemic lockdown, we are faced with many uncertainties. True to its nature, the world lottery community is collectively working to seek clarity in the wake of the crisis.
- About us
- Responsible Gaming
- WLA Seminars
- Request for Proposal (RFP)
- Scam Protection
- Legal Advice