The lottery sector has built its success in partnership with its extensive and established retail network that acts as its trusted resellers. As the world has become more digital, lotteries have had to adapt and change their approach to stay relevant to a new generation of players. During the COVID-19 outbreak, having an online presence has never been more important as many retailers were forced to temporarily close. In a three-way dialogue, Dan Beebe, Director of Lottery Strategic Development at BCLC; Stuart Godfree, Managing Director of mkodo; and Jennifer Westbury, Executive Vice President, Sales & Customer Development at Pollard Banknote, examine the link between retail and online sales platforms, how lotteries can best integrate their retail and online offering as well as protect the relationship with their retailers in the wake of an increased digital offering.
Members of ALA and LONACI gather for a group photo after the WLA/ALA joint seminar on innovation and sustainable development.
Coinciding with the fiftieth anniversary of the establishment of the National Lottery of Côte d’Ivoire (LONACI) members of the African Lottery Association (ALA) came together to discuss innovation and sustainable development in an Africa lottery context in Abidjan on March 4 and 5, 2020.
The COVID-19 pandemic lockdown has forced us to adapt many aspects of our daily lives. Prolonged indoor stays are accelerating the evolution of eCommerce, have made home office the current standard working model for many, and have brought the classrooms of our school children into our homes. But what will remain of this adaptive behavior once the lockdown has been lifted?
- COVID-19 cases top 1.25 million as one-third of the world goes on lockdown
- Lottomatica, SELAE, and ONCE suspend all sales as China Sports and China Welfare resume operations on a rolling basis
- North American lotteries suspend VLT operations and close prize redemption claim centers
- Sports betting hit by adjournment of major events and competitions including the English Premier League, Italy’s Serie A, Euro 2020, and the 2020 Summer Olympics
- All casinos in Las Vegas close as Macau casinos cautiously reopen
- Major turf events including the Kentucky Derby and the Grand National postponed as horse racing is cancelled or moved behind closed doors
- US congress approves USD 2.2 trillion relief package as 10 million Americans file for unemployment
- H2 Global Gaming's 2020 total gambling forecast now downgraded 12.1% on pre-outbreak estimates.
- About us
- Responsible Gaming
- WLA Seminars
- Request for Proposal (RFP)
- Scam Protection
- Legal Advice